Plain English course
Since the 1970s we have run our Plain English Course for all kinds of organisations, training their staff in the techniques and benefits of plain English.
We have worked with a wide range of government departments, high street banks, building societies, manufacturing companies and local authorities. Plain English has helped these organisations to save money. Their customers benefit too.
No one wants to waste time trying to understand wordy, bureaucratic or jargon-ridden literature. And no one thinks kindly of the people who write it! We train writers to put themselves in their customers’ shoes, and to ask ‘How would I feel if I received this and what would I think of the organisation sending it?’
The course is designed to give delegates the skills and awareness they need:
- to recognise some of the traps a writer can fall into;
- to understand the features of a plain English style;
- to understand the importance of plain English in caring for customers;
- to realise how important writing style is in projecting an image of themselves and their organisation; and
- to avoid wasting time by getting their message across first time and using a style and tone appropriate for the intended audience.
The course will cover the following:
- Introduction to the course
- Is the information as clear as possible?
- Is the style appropriate for the audience?
- Shortening sentences
- Suggestions for clear writing
- Being active about passives
- Righting some writing wrongs
- Revealing hidden verbs
- Using lists
- Setting out and organising good documents and letters
- Planning and drafting a complete letter
This course is available as an open course, an inhouse course or an online course.
The course timings (for open and inhouse courses) are:
Lunch 12.30pm to 1.30pm
(These timings are just a guide.)
Ordering the Plain English course as an inhouse course:
We run the course at your offices, over one day. The programme is flexible and can be adapted to your own specific needs. Some of the sessions cover techniques of plain English, and others concentrate on either practical case studies we provide or your own documents. If possible, we like to use your own material so that we are using familiar and meaningful documents to reinforce the techniques.
If you have any questions about this course, or if you want to make a booking, please phone Terri on 01663 744409 or email email@example.com.
Ordering a place on the Plain English course as an open course:
If you have any questions about this course, or if you want to make a booking, please phone Terri Schabel on 01663 744409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check our open course dates course dates for the next available course.
The course costs £100 plus VAT (total price £120). You use the course on a password protected website. Your fee gives you unlimited access to the course for two weeks.
We accept payment in pounds sterling (GBP), euros (EUR), US dollars (USD), Australian dollars (AUD) and New Zealand dollars (NZD).
We can accept payment with the following cards.
The button below takes you to a secure payment site. Your credit card details will automatically be encrypted (put into code) and sent direct to WorldPay, a well-established and reputable card processing firm. Neither Plain English Campaign nor anyone else will have access to your card details.
Please note that your username and password to logon to the course will be sent to you during the next working day after you have made your payment.
Refunds may be given at the discretion of the management.